Author Topic: Transparent Shading on The Saturn  (Read 820 times)

XL2

• View Profile
Re: Transparent Shading on The Saturn
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2018, 11:29:58 pm »
Anyway, if anyone is wondering, it's super easy to do (took me like 10 minutes), here is a Jo engine friendly version :

void drawLine(unsigned int no, Sint16 x1, Sint16 y1, Sint16 x2, Sint16 y2, FIXED drawPrty)
{
    SPRITE user_sprite;
    user_sprite.CTRL = 6;
    user_sprite.LINK =0x3000;
    user_sprite.PMOD = (1<<12) | (0<<11) | (1<<10) | (0<<9) | (1<<7)|(1<<6)| (CL32KRGB) | 3;

user_sprite.COLR = (CD_Red);
    user_sprite.XA= x1;
    user_sprite.YA= y1;

user_sprite.XB= x2;
    user_sprite.YB= y2;

slSetSprite(&user_sprite, drawPrty);
}

It doesn't mean it's the fastest way (using the VDP2 is faster), but anyway...
The red shape is made of lines, I just went lazy but you could do any shapes you want and even add some shading (maybe just by playing with the color code or by using gouraud shading). The "background" is just sprites, it won't work on a VDP2 layer and will just replace the color in the framebuffer.
You could, I guess, just flicker it on and off or flicker the mesh effect, but then what's the point of the half-transparency?
The only real solution I see is to use line color tables with VDP2 layers, but that requires knowing what's on screen, which isn't easy at all.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 01:34:29 am by XL2 »

corvusd

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Portfolio
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2018, 12:54:27 am »
Incredibles posts these days XL2!

Well, it's a very creative solution on your part. I think that if you can facilitate the creation of content with this routine, it could be used well, in specific things. For large crystals for example.

With respect to making the transparency work in both VDP1 and VDP2. I still believe that you have to see how Burning Rangers does it. Well I think it's the best solution, using the SS pipeline.

The maximum that I have come to find out is that BR make two "spaces" of drawing are alternated in the VDP1. In first, only the opaque elements with their texture or color are drawn. And in a second the transparent elements and a part of the black opaque elements that cover the transparent elements.

The first space is drawn with a clipping system "total" and the second to half. For example for a final output resolution of 320x240 non-interlaced, with a Clipping System of VDP1 of 319x239. The second space will be 160x120 and then send it to VDP2 to NBG1 at 16bit color and using a Color calculation of this layer over the VDP1. The elements drawn by the VDP1 will look transparent over the VDP1 and VDP2 at the same time.

All for "one" frame. BR have 20FPS peaks stable.

Problems that still exist:

1) The elements of the VDP1 between them do not mix. Could we use VDP1 H-T? Solving the redrawing problems. Using only non-deformed elements in the vertical like: Scaled sprites, Normal Sprites or Distorted sprites like Billboards. Or new tricks like yours XL2.

2) Can we get to render the second space to the total resolution?

3) In Burning Renger the final layer of transparency is on top of everything, including the UI. Could we somehow avoid this problem? For example creating a mask on these parts. Or using a VDP2 layer for the UI.

Objective: Make a total Sun Lens Flare effect that works on VDP1 and 2 and that are 3D elements of VDP1.

A for all! :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 08:32:10 pm by corvusd »
David Gámiz Jiménez

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2018, 01:33:07 am »
Well, one solution that I'm currently experimenting with :
-Use the framebuffer from last frame.
-If for each pixel the bit 15 is 0, it's palette code. Just draw a line using cram palette with transparency ratio.
-If the msb is 1, use vdp1 half-transparency.
Since you set the z distance, it won't create much sorting issues and would keep artifacts low.

The main issue is reading from the framebuffer, it's just slow.
Like I mentionned, you can also use gouraud shading, so these fake polygons could still look nice.
I'm not sure it could be done with textures because the width must be a multiple of 8 (I hate this limitation)

20EnderDude20

• I'm also known as "The Blender Fiddler" on Youtube
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2018, 12:03:16 am »
It looks like you've used this pseudo-polygon effect in your latest build of Sonic Z-treme, and It looks nice so far! I see that you've used 11 polygons for the shadow, looking though the VDP 1 debugger in Yabause  ;D.

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2018, 05:15:59 am »
I didn't use that in the Sage demo.

20EnderDude20

• I'm also known as "The Blender Fiddler" on Youtube
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2018, 06:22:04 am »
What did you use?

corvusd

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Portfolio
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2018, 09:37:50 pm »
What did you use?

Scaled sprite whit vdp1 color calculation function replace/shadow, this are equal to half-transparent. Only add a step transform to monocrome mask if the pattern is color.
David Gámiz Jiménez

corvusd

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Portfolio
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2018, 05:30:49 pm »
Well, one solution that I'm currently experimenting with :
-Use the framebuffer from last frame.
-If for each pixel the bit 15 is 0, it's palette code. Just draw a line using cram palette with transparency ratio.
-If the msb is 1, use vdp1 half-transparency.
Since you set the z distance, it won't create much sorting issues and would keep artifacts low.

The main issue is reading from the framebuffer, it's just slow.
Like I mentionned, you can also use gouraud shading, so these fake polygons could still look nice.
I'm not sure it could be done with textures because the width must be a multiple of 8 (I hate this limitation)

Forgive XL2, I wanted to have answered this answer of yours before.

I have a similar idea to solve the problem. I thought that you could create a function that knew when a part of an element (Normal, Scaled or Distorted Sprite and lines or polylines) is on top of another element of VDP1 or not. That is, the function knows when a vertex of an element is above an element of VDP1 or VDP2. If so, use VDP1 CC (Color calculation) Half-Transparent and when it is on the VDP2 use palette transparency shared with VDP2 color RAM.

There would still be the problem that certain elements, when they are on the border, did not make a transparency correctly.

In your idea something similar would happen, but only at the line level.

Maybe my idea is "faster" pq would be done in the transformation calculation part. Comparing common coordinates, it would not touch to read the framebuffer as in your idea.

Also, it may be useful to use both ideas in combination.

Who knows, even with the trick of Burning Rangers.

According to situations, each form or idea may be more suitable for a better solution. Quality / Performance

All of them using the native process and graphic pipeline of the SS.

Regards,
David Gámiz Jiménez

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk