Author Topic: Idea of UV mapping on the Saturn  (Read 436 times)

20EnderDude20

• I'm also known as "The Blender Fiddler" on Youtube
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Re: Idea of UV mapping on the Saturn
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 12:23:21 am »
Well, how do other systems like the Jaguar pull this off at a better framerate? Is it because it has a higher bandwidth, or...? This is more of asking if we can remake Supercross 3d on the Sega Saturn.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 12:28:07 am by 20EnderDude20 »

Jorhlok

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 08:15:02 am »
More to the point, it's pre-processed; the image on the sphere is pretty much just a screenshot. You'll notice the heavy lag time before the ball comes into play after the game stops.

Oh yeah, the background wouldn't be in the VDP1 framebuffer so it would necessarily need to be touched up to include what the VDP2 would normally produce.

ponut64

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 10:42:28 am »
Well, how do other systems like the Jaguar pull this off at a better framerate? Is it because it has a higher bandwidth, or...? This is more of asking if we can remake Supercross 3d on the Sega Saturn.

The Jaguar might do it because it has less data to handle in a more compressed format in a more unified memory access structure.
Heavily segmented memory [on the Saturn] has its advantages but speed definitely is not one of them.

Now, we wonder: How, on the Saturn, would we do this?
I imagine it would involve use of one of VDP2's rotating background layers and a lot of memory copies, possibly even compression, or culling of certain assets from the memory copy to a TGA / bitmap format that VDP2 understands.

In other words:
Stream frame-buffer of VDP1 to a work area where it can be processed to a bitmap format and re-pasted to VDP2 RBG0 area, line-by-line (line being a chunk of the stream).
You can then move, scale, and rotate this effective re-projection wherever you like in 3D space.
Problems:
1. Extraordinarily busy on DMAs, cannot happen in concurrence with music streams, file system access, or SCU DSP access.
2. Quite slow, I don't foresee it working beyond 10 FPS.
3. Effectively limits the scene complexity to what can fit into RBG0 data area [130KB?].

20EnderDude20

• I'm also known as "The Blender Fiddler" on Youtube
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2018, 06:08:24 pm »
Maybe you can make it go at 1-2 fps, just make it a billboard, or demonstrate what is the best trade-off with using compression.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk