Sega Saturn Development > Project announcement

Virtua Skimmer

(1/7) > >>

SkimmingSanshiro:
Heres my project i've been working on. Its a Tony Hawk style Skimboard game, you do whats called a "wrap" on a wave and do as many tricks as possible without falling 

Its still a work in progress but I reached the dynamic memory usage limit and probably be awhile before I can do a significant update since i'm still learning basics. Recommended emulator is Yabause as SSF is too fast. On Saturn hardware everything is a bit to fast(the wave especially) but probably more the speed im looking for finished. The water dithered mesh that moves rapidly im going to replace with a Grandia water style raster effect as the current jerking motion is almost flashing colors at you.

Issues-
runs about %50 to fast on sff %40 to slow in Yabause compared to hardware(Overall speed in general not finished)
Out of dynamic memory for more transformations
Printf tricks dont clear when finish run
Gameplay is about %30 (No real collision/Hacky Gravity + Controls)

To Do-
Move mesh/Textures off main ram to free up dynamic memory
Grandia Style Water effect(VDP2 Raster effect?https://youtu.be/Foln_F9ggk8?t=1m46s)
Link system (Tricks must be done quickly together or lose link)
Animation
Convert title screen meshes to hardcoded images
Collision/Physics
2 Player
Fishing mode using saturn mouse

https://github.com/VirtuaSkimmer/Virtua-Skimmer-Sega-Saturn-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqetF9Q5tG0

XL2:
 Good job!
I'll try to give you a hand if I can find some free time.

Using the tool I made you should fix all your memory issues.
You probably allocate memory for sprites but don't clear it.
Also make sure your sprites are loaded from the disk, not hardcoded.

For the framerate, when you use "slSynch ()", it will wait unitl the end of the allocated time before rendering again, so it shouldn't be too fast nor too slow depending on your settings. The jo core run also calls slSynch at the end of each loop.
You can try different settings (like your speed increases x units * nb of frames).
Make sure your emulator also has its frame limiter option on.

For the vdp2 effect you want, it involves using line scrolling.
I never tried it yet myself, but I think there is one SGL demo using it.

For collisions, you can simply use a bounding box or sphere and use the quads' normals to calculate where it should push you.

You will need a basic spatial subdivision for that (a grid is the easiest choice and what I would suggest you to try).

XL2:
Just to help you a bit with your project.

I made a model converter and binary loader, so you can use it to load your player and other entities.
It allows you to load multiple models and display them easily.
It should fix your memory issues if you use the binary files (ZTP).
It doesn't read the texture coordinates, so you need to either flip your quads yourself or flip the textures (a bit of a pain, but that's how the Saturn works sadly, with no texture coordinates).

For flat shaded quads, use a 8x1 texture, as my converter doesn't read the MTL file. I plan to transform these 8x1 textures to normal polygons (untextured) at a later time.
Make sure your images have no more than 16 colors and are saved as 32 bits TGA images (no RLE compression).

I might switch to FBX to allow animations and I'd like to add realtime gouraud shading someday, so for now it's just simple and dumb lightning, but anyway enjoy!

NB : The model converter is in the TOOL subfolder. The ZTI image converter is also there.

XL2:
Ok, small update, I added realtime gouraud shading.

The per-vertex normals might not be 100% right, so the results might not be as smooth as what you get with the official Sega 3d tool.

Enjoy!

EDIT : I think I got the per-vertex normal OK, see the demo in newer posts.

ponut64:
Impressive stuff, XL2. Thanks immensely for sharing.
That takes a 53 KB .h format file down to 16KB.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go to full version