Author Topic: 3D Map tool + FPS demo  (Read 3402 times)

XL2

• View Profile
Re: 3D Map tool + FPS demo
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2017, 03:44:29 am »
I made a big update, the map tool now reads TGA files and writes to the binary custom file for texture mapped levels.
I also added a function to auto-subdivide the map for view frustum culling.
I'm still using SGL culling function, which isn't great.
I also changed the collision code to reduce CPU usage (I didn't do much testing, so it's possible that it's buggy now).

I succesfully imported levels from Project AXSX, but performance isn't that great for now as you can see in the video.

I still have to fix bugs, do more testing and find a way to precompute visibility (suggestions are welcome!) in order to improve performance further.

itsstillthinking1999

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 12:51:56 am »
Very nice! what video are you talking about?

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2017, 04:20:31 am »
Second post, the youtube link.

corvusd

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 10:16:24 pm »
Again!! Great work and progress XL2!!!

I am curious... which is possible cause of the slow performance of the gouraud distance code in the real SS???

Thanks in advance!! :D
David Gámiz Jiménez

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2017, 05:05:30 am »
I removed gouraud shading because it's much slower with it (25% at 60 fps). The "slow" performance is in fact between 30 and 60 fps on real hardware. I just need to add precalculated visibility and I should be able to hit 60 fps. If not I will just display a low quality model at distance and use lower quality textures on that model. Either way, I will get to stable 60 fps, I just need lot of work to get there, but I'm confident.
Precalculated visibility is my next headache, I plan to just subdivide the map in a few zones (say 64 zones) and do ray tracing checks (on the PC) at the limits and middle of each zone, then store the results compressed in an interger. So say I'm at zone 2 and can potentially see 6 meshes (out of 32 as an example) from there, I will just flip the bits of that integer to 1, the rest to 0. If I have 128 meshes, I will need 4 integers per zone (like 64 again), which means it will only take 256 bytes, which isn't too bad for the huge speed gain. Anyway, that's the plan for now, it might not work when I try it and it won't be that easy to pull.

lostgame

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 12:47:05 am »
Just wanted to thank you for this. I've been toying around with the current collision tool demo. It's neat! I'd love to speed it up a bit and implement a sprite object-based system...I'd love to create a BUG!-ish 3D platformer of my own...

Additionally:

I assume the VDP1 is being used primarily for the 3D polygons...

How much effort would be required to hack a scrolling background with a VPD2 image in there?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 12:50:27 am by lostgame »

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 01:50:42 am »
Using the vdp2 is quite hard. You could DMA sprites to the VDP2 NBG1, but you would be limited to not too big sprites and would need to clear the screen each frame. You would probably also have to store them in the main RAM, taking precious memory away.

I didn't update the FPS demo for a long while, so it's really dated now compared to what I have in Z-Treme (it gives me a speed boost of around 40% compared to what's in the FPS demo). The map converter is also old now compared to what I have in Z-treme.

I still plan to update it within the next few months.

lostgame

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2017, 02:46:07 am »
I was messing with the baked-in-but-commented-out BG VDP2 code...but yeah, it's messy at best.

I'm sure your Z-Treme engine is far more advanced, but even this is tremendous. This Jo-Engine has really quickly allowed me to fulfill my long-term dreams of developing for this platform.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk