Author Topic: Sonic Z-Treme  (Read 24403 times)

20EnderDude20

• I'm also known as "The Blender Fiddler" on Youtube
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Re: Sonic Z-Treme
« Reply #255 on: July 18, 2018, 08:54:32 pm »
Is it also possible for a blue channel bug exploit? You already have 2/3 of the color channels exploited.

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 18, 2018, 09:06:08 pm »
It should be, but it didn't seem to work when I used it.
It's not about the colors, but it's about how the hardware interpolates the gouraud shading, which shouldn't work, but since it still sends the interpolated data to the VDP2 you can play with the palette and use it to shift values.
Blue falls at bit 10 to 15, so it's inbetween the palette's address and the color calculation ratios, which means it can't be used unless you use sprite type 4.

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 20, 2018, 04:34:32 am »
Here it is in action with both the metal effect (working on real hardware nicely) using both green gouraud shifts (when the metal player is invincible) and red gouraud (both when invincible and not).
I added global lightning to the maps using per-vertex lightning and averaging the results to get a per-quad flat lightning shifting palettes.
I also added back rings and ennemies, but the ennemies are static since I didn't code in an insertion function for the octree nodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Solq-N_jI28

itsstillthinking1999

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 20, 2018, 08:21:32 am »
Sorry for a long absence but i just want to say thats amazing! I cant wait to finally get all my Sega stuff out of storage in the next week or two and try the new build when its released.

Again and again thanks XL2 you make all of us Saturn fans proud and keep up the good work!  ;D

Joeveno

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 20, 2018, 03:06:20 pm »
Hello! I've seen the last video! it's looking simply GORGEOUS!
How are the plans for the implementation of sonic's rolling / rolling attack going? And what about loops and slopes implementation? cheers!

20EnderDude20

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #260 on: July 20, 2018, 04:51:05 pm »
I hate to be rude, but do you have a working capture device? I would like to see all of the gameplay without the glare, and the camera having to focus every time the screen fades to black. Great job, also.

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 20, 2018, 04:54:48 pm »
I don't have one, else I would be using it ;)

20EnderDude20

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #262 on: July 20, 2018, 05:03:34 pm »
I've made a little animation that you would see probably as soon as the disc loads: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DHAPk6PKQR4yRIAYsp-m2eDZc9x_s_Xk/view (there is no audio, yet ;))

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 21, 2018, 12:16:36 am »
Thanks, but I already have logo screens that I use to hide loading.
Adding a video would defeat that purpose.

20EnderDude20

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #264 on: July 21, 2018, 01:17:53 am »
Don't sweat it! Besides, it only took one day to make it!

jabfg

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 21, 2018, 09:57:20 am »
I have been following your project for a long time and i have to congratulate you for your amazing work. The graphics look really good and the frame rate is consistent.
If you complete the game I will buy it.
But in my opinion the type of levels that Sega planned for the game look a bit too closed. So my question is, can your engine engine handle a more open concept like Mario 64 or, at least like ninpen manmaru (https://www.google.pt/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D6jHdiojWyBg&ved=0ahUKEwjOjsiJ2a_cAhXSPFAKHVd5D08Qo7QBCCQwAA&usg=AOvVaw2X1Sfk0rqsitgzd4UT_CAw)? And what are your ideas for the levels?

ponut64

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 21, 2018, 10:20:42 am »
Every time I try to comment on XL2 / ZT technical information, I'm embarrassed by being incorrect. I will say this however, not for anyone, just an estimation.

- Expanding the game world to be more open [read: more polygons in the level geometry, farther view distance, more free camera] like SM64 entirely axes the possibility of 2-player. Is that important? Not my choice.
- Expanding the game world to be more open like SM64 carries technical possibility, but I think it would increase the texture warping and it would likely come with a decrease in apparent world texture resolution.
(the above based on the assumption that the polygons of world geometry become 'larger' in size to fit the scene into the polygon limit)
- XL2 might be facing memory limitations combined with polygon/sprite/view culling complications. These become worse with more things being potentially visible at once. Solving one or the other could be done with file system usage (reading visibility data based on sector or loading assets over other assets based on sector); combining the two into a unified solution would take a lot of time.
- Looking at Ninpen Manmaru however, I think there is definitely room to move the levels to be like that. But those levels are very very small.

- The big and VERY impressive push we're seeing is probably a build-up to SAGE, after which I imagine he might have more time to look at bigger changes.

Thanks again to XL2 to providing his technical expertise.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 10:22:50 am by ponut64 »

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 21, 2018, 07:22:04 pm »
Yeah, Ponut is right.
Now, offloading a lot of work to the vdp2 using a rgb0 plane would solve many issues, but using it in splitscreen is way harder since you need to use interrupts.

20EnderDude20

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #268 on: July 21, 2018, 08:51:02 pm »
Wait, if multiplayer uses interrupts, how did the dust (when you destroy an enemy) penetrate the other half of the screen sometimes?

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 21, 2018, 09:12:40 pm »
You just dicovered a bug!
I forgot to add an option to render only within the window screen.
It doesn't use interrupts.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk