Author Topic: Sonic Z-Treme  (Read 24278 times)

XL2

• View Profile
Sonic Z-Treme
« on: March 31, 2017, 01:58:46 am »
Hi!

Here is my Sonic X-Treme remake project on Sega Saturn, running on real hardware :

v.0.071 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Solq-N_jI28

Older version, ran at 60 fps on real hardware :
v.0.034 running on SSF : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1qc8F7xflM&t=7s

« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:36:23 am by XL2 »

mindslight

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jo Engine
Re: 3D Sonic demo
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 01:45:22 pm »
Wow it's very nice  :D

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 04:07:00 am »
Merci encore pour ton moteur, c'est vraiment super! J'espère que tu vas poursuivre ton bon travail! Je n'en reviens tout simplement pas de tout ce que tu as réussi à accomplir jusqu'à présent!
--

New update here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF3kpwwG1vk&t=16s
I've modified the game a bit, and I think it looks much better now (the Sonic model is just missing eye textures and I still need to improve the way the arms move while running). I've added some new objects, but I still need to improve the vertical hit detection, add some ennemies and add a real foreground (no idea as for now, I'm still studying the engine). I hope to find a way to use a VDP2 plane to make it a 2.5D game, but I still have lot of work to get there, but little time sadly! 

mindslight

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jo Engine
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 04:38:28 pm »
Merci à toi :)

Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 10:10:30 am »
Your demo is very nice!
I specially like the way you used a 3d model instead of a sprite for the main character ;D.

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 04:09:09 am »
Thanks both of you.

Here is a small update.

Now the game is all in 3D, but the physics, camera, collision detection and a few things took a huge hit. I haven't figured out if VDP2 plane is supported with Jo Engine. Johannes, can you help me on this one?
I'm still only using one CPU.

Enjoy :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GgKwrPbWAg 

mindslight

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jo Engine
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 02:12:01 pm »
See at the bottom of main.c in the shooter demo.

You can run events on the slave CPU, but beware of thread safety

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 05:13:08 pm »
Sorry, I meant using a VDP2 3D plane (as in several 3d games, like Panzer Dragoon, Virtua Fighter 2, etc.).
Right now, I'm using the VDP1 for the ground, but I would need to add so many polygons to prevent the weird bugs (such as Sonic's feet disappearing).
It would also allow me to have an infinite ground floor, which would make something a bit like Sonic Utopia possible to a certain degree.

As for the slave CPU, I don't want to count too much on it for now as I still have a lot to learn first.

Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 10:00:25 pm »
Here is in attachment an old presentation from a Sega Workshop from 95 that should help understand how the CPUs and VPUs work together. If you want I could also take a look at your source code and give you a hand.

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 04:23:19 am »
Wow, thanks a lot!
I will read that.
Thanks also for your offer for helping me with the code.
I will send it to you by PM (if I can), else I'll just edit and put it here.
Thanks again!

BTW, thanks also for the FPS control demo, I used that in order to get the camera working (with pad 2).

Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 10:16:55 am »
I'm glad my code was helpful :)
I have downloaded your project and will take a look at it during the week to help you out.
I'm also working on a method for drawing the 3d environment for my first person shooter game, I have been researching about binary space partitioning, quadtrees, octrees and portals to see what will be most useful.
Once I have something nice to show I will share it because surely it will be reusable on almost everything that needs a 3d environment  :P
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 11:06:43 am by Danny »

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 09:39:26 pm »
After one month working on this project, here is a full 3D update. I imported the intro level from Mario 64. Still using only one CPU (the game slows down as you can see) and my collision detection is really really really basic (only X/Z, using hardcoded bounding boxes, still no Y collision detection at the moment).
I didn't succeed yet in implementing a polygon-based collision detection (I would just cover the level with invisible huge bounding boxes/planes and detect collision on them) and I'm not sure if there is a way right now without using SGL.

As you can see, I didn't texture map the level (except for the ground floor) and I didn't add extra geometry on the ground (which I should to prevent the texture warping). Once the collision detection works correctly I'll be able to move to objects/ennemies implementation. I'm also considering adding tails following Sonic. In both cases that means I need to learn some AI programming. For the levels, I think I might try to randomly general levels at one point, which might be better than trying to create several levels. But, that's still far off!

EDIT : I just did a small texture map test, but I'm using the level from the DS version, which has extra geometry.

Video here : https://youtu.be/RdzAl7iSfsI
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 10:35:27 pm by XL2 »

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 05:29:55 pm »
Ok, so I burned a disk and tried on my Saturn and... well, it's just broken on real hardware, but works fine in every emulator. I added a new "feature" to remove some geometry (just press L or R then start). The framerate is also very low, but I'm not that worried about it for now as I still have room for optimization and I'm only using one CPU. The main problem is the polygons keep disappearing. Any ideas on what the problem might be? Even by reducing the number of polygons, it doesn't work well at all. Do you guys think it's the VDP1 that can't keep up, or is it CPU related?

Video of the test on actual hardware : https://youtu.be/_pDlYx9yviU

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 06:57:32 pm by XL2 »

mindslight

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jo Engine
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 08:46:05 am »
This is due to the 3D implementation in the SGL. Did you use the DualPlane mode ?

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 03:13:07 pm »
Yes, it's all in dual plane. Should I just invert the normals and do it single plane?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk