Sega Saturn Development > General discussion about the Sega Saturn

Transparent Shading on The Saturn

<< < (8/8)

20EnderDude20:
What did you use?

corvusd:

--- Quote from: 20EnderDude20 on August 29, 2018, 06:22:04 am ---What did you use?

--- End quote ---

Scaled sprite whit vdp1 color calculation function replace/shadow, this are equal to half-transparent. Only add a step transform to monocrome mask if the pattern is color.

corvusd:

--- Quote from: XL2 on August 24, 2018, 01:33:07 am ---Well, one solution that I'm currently experimenting with :
-Use the framebuffer from last frame.
-If for each pixel the bit 15 is 0, it's palette code. Just draw a line using cram palette with transparency ratio.
-If the msb is 1, use vdp1 half-transparency.
Since you set the z distance, it won't create much sorting issues and would keep artifacts low.

The main issue is reading from the framebuffer, it's just slow.
Like I mentionned, you can also use gouraud shading, so these fake polygons could still look nice.
I'm not sure it could be done with textures because the width must be a multiple of 8 (I hate this limitation)

--- End quote ---

Forgive XL2, I wanted to have answered this answer of yours before.

I have a similar idea to solve the problem. I thought that you could create a function that knew when a part of an element (Normal, Scaled or Distorted Sprite and lines or polylines) is on top of another element of VDP1 or not. That is, the function knows when a vertex of an element is above an element of VDP1 or VDP2. If so, use VDP1 CC (Color calculation) Half-Transparent and when it is on the VDP2 use palette transparency shared with VDP2 color RAM.

There would still be the problem that certain elements, when they are on the border, did not make a transparency correctly.

In your idea something similar would happen, but only at the line level.

Maybe my idea is "faster" pq would be done in the transformation calculation part. Comparing common coordinates, it would not touch to read the framebuffer as in your idea.

Also, it may be useful to use both ideas in combination.

Who knows, even with the trick of Burning Rangers.

According to situations, each form or idea may be more suitable for a better solution. Quality / Performance

All of them using the native process and graphic pipeline of the SS.

Regards,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go to full version