Sega Saturn Development > General discussion about the Sega Saturn

Transparent Shading on The Saturn

(1/8) > >>

20EnderDude20:
I've made a demonstration of circular transparent shading by not using perspective distortion, and instead, use affine transformation and it looks fine: Now, would the shadow be corrupted by having overdraw if I skewed it, in other words, kept the coordinates parallel with each other?

20EnderDude20:
Okay, so there is a solution to the perspective distortion with rectangular shadows. What you do is that you make a 16-frame animation of a square moving two points together. You would then use the palette swap trick to compress it to one texture, and you would use affine transformations for the rest. Observe: .

corvusd:
Very good ideas! Are you think about How make the change of shape when the camera rotate above the shadow?

20EnderDude20:
Yes. The frame number of the texture depends on the view that you're looking at it from. Since it's 16 frames long, it should change about every 5 degrees within 90 degrees. When it's 0, it should be at the frame with the triangle, if it's 90, it's square. If you go above 90 degrees, you flip the texture, and the same applies there. I'm not a coder, but I can animate in Flash, so I might ask XL2 to implement a system like this, if he has time  ;). Here is a much more impressive-looking gif:

20EnderDude20:
Wait, if the ps1 used affine texture mapping for everything 3d, and if the shadow looks the same even with the warping, why didn't any developers program shadow polygons to turn off perspective correction (calculating q value, tessellation, etc.) on the Saturn?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go to full version