Author Topic: SOLVED: Can't get Every Day Cute copy to work  (Read 230 times)

SaturnTeam

• View Profile
    • Saturn Team
SOLVED: Can't get Every Day Cute copy to work
« on: July 02, 2018, 07:05:51 pm »
This is such a frustrating problem. I copied the demo, and switched out the 4 TGA files with my own. I copied the TEX file and altered the file names inside. In the C file, i just changed the animation name. I kept the exact same structure. It just isn't working. I am getting an error in Yabause that it can't find the TGA files. The only thing that might be different about them is that they have a blue transparency background. Is there another way to create a TEX file other than copying it? It seems like it's just the names of the TGA files one after the other: "1.TGA2.TGA3.TGA4.TGA". I have never found any documentation or posts about making a TEX file, so I just assumed people created it in Notepad. Also, unlike my game project, when I try to compile this demo in Code Blocks, it returns an error saying it needs Visual Studio C++? I can still save the project. I don't have Visual Studio. I don't get what the problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. UPDATE: I tried copying the original demo TGAs into my copied folder and changing the TEX file back to how it was, but I am still getting an error saying it can't find the files. This makes me think that there is another way to create a TEX file.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 06:05:10 pm by SaturnTeam »
Founder of Saturn Team

ponut64

• View Profile
Re: Can't get Every Day Cute copy to work
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 07:47:58 pm »
Instead of worrying yourself with how Jo Engine manages textures through included header and C files, I would advise you investigate XL2's Image and Model converters.
These allow you to convert images to binary files that can be loaded and overwritten on-demand. Animated textures though are something TBD, but if you are dealing with a sprite-based game, you can easily create an animated sprite structure with a unique sprite texture for each frame and a way to flip between them.
You can find these tools elsewhere on the forum.

Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is your directory structure is messing things up and you might want to try putting everything in root.

SaturnTeam

• View Profile
    • Saturn Team
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 09:10:35 pm »
Okay. I got it working. There seemed to be some kind of confusion in the program execution having to do with transparency colors. I went through and redid the TGAs. It's working perfectly, now.
Founder of Saturn Team

ponut64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 09:23:17 pm »
That's happened to me before. That, and the width of the TGA being wrong. I'm glad you got it working.

SaturnTeam

• View Profile
    • Saturn Team
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 10:24:00 pm »
Yeah. Actually, when I redid them, I ran into the width problem. I fixed that. I was actually trying to get the animation to work so I could put it in my game file and try to attach it to the process of the laser hitting the enemy, which would show the animation. I couldn't figure out your coding suggestion and was trying to find a workaround. Unfortunately, I have not been successful. I think this will be the last day I will work on it before suspending my game. I am going to think about it. I can't continue without having the enemies explode. :'(
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:37:22 pm by SaturnTeam »
Founder of Saturn Team

ponut64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 10:58:10 pm »
Keep at it! Game development is like research. You could get nothing done for months and then suddenly it works!

SaturnTeam

• View Profile
    • Saturn Team
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 12:09:11 am »
I'm going to put in a feature request for the demo, and move on to other parts of the game.
Founder of Saturn Team

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk