Author Topic: Sonic Z-Treme  (Read 24315 times)

Andrew75

• View Profile
Re: Sonic Z-Treme
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2017, 01:01:42 am »
Heya ! Andrew75 here From Project AXSX. Anyhow, I was wondering if you had Skype. I think it would be easy to transfer Models and such threw there. I think before I send the model we need to get scales established. Scale is very important !

Maybe we can try to send a few cubes back and forth until we get the scale difference figured out between 3DS max which I use, and blender which you use. I'm sure you are familiar with the scale you need. but I hope to be brought up to speed so as any asset I send will be game ready as possible.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 01:08:44 am by Andrew75 »

corvusd

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Portfolio
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2017, 09:54:15 pm »
Edit - Like you can see here, the game progressed nicely, while there is still a lot to do, I now have a full 3D level with collision detection, physics, BSP, etc.
Demo attached (v.0.02)  (You will have to convert the MP3 files to WAV or change the cue sheet to make it work with MP3). There are some bugs in the demo that I'm aware of, such as the NBG2 background (hidden by the RBG0 plane) being "corrupted" and having poor contrast, the game only plays one sound at a time (I need to learn how to properly downgrade audio from 44100 HZ to 11025 mono) and there is a weird bug with the Sin/Cos functions (not sure if the problem is at my end) where the negative return bigger values when it's under 1 (even if I use floating points) which makes Sonic go faster in some directions than the others.

Newest version here, running on stock Saturn :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFaLo6XWmWo&t=1s

Hi XL2, absolutely great job! :D

I see you've used the Color Calculation whit a Color Calculation Ratio = 31:1 on the NBG3 layer. A kind of fog over the image of the mountains. In the video of youtube in the real SS and in medanfen the effect is not seen. But in Yabause and SSF yes, show OK. Is it possible that you are missing something else in the VDP2 for this effect to look good in most real machine code?

The ground rotated work well, as you told me. It possible improve the final image, We find the way, but for now great work!

I also see that you do not use the LWRAM, is it because of some limitation? I ask out of curiosity :)

Finally I see that you have used the Mesh mode in the shadows and the explosions of enemies. It has been very well. Now it's easier to jump :)  Next step, find way use VDP1 Half transparent, if not penalize much.

By way of suggestion. At levels where you have to go very far and do not draw the stage, it could be a problem. You should design them knowing this limitation well. Or add a fog effect to increase the drawing distance a little more. An effect like in Sonic R maybe? I think what it does is to use the "trick" that the sprites in the background go to color bank of VDP2 and activate the MDB bit mode "1" so that it is the VDP2 that does the transparency.

Nothing more, I encourage and we keep in touch! :)

Regards!

David G. J.
David Gámiz Jiménez

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2017, 10:59:43 pm »
Thanks for your comments!

For the LWRAM, it seems you are right according to Yabause! No wonder I always had to fight so hard to cram everything inside the Saturn. I thought files loaded from the disk (such as sounds and images) went straight to the LWRAM, as suggested in the Rockin'B guide.
I looked at the documentation for Jo Engine, and I can't find how to even use it or if there is currently a way (I guess there is, I just haven't found it).
How do I even allocate the LWRAM in Jo Engine?
Audio files would be a good start using it I guess (unless someone suggests otherwise).
Can I allocate more memory to the 3D Meshes, or does it have to go to the High-work RAM?
I'm trying to cram a level from Project AXSX shared by Andrew75, but right now I can't even put half of it as I run out of RAM quickly.
I might have to simplify the map, or find another way to allocate more memory to it.

Btw, Johannes, are you still planning to update the Jo Map Editor tool for the .OBJ conversion? (or release the source)
Right now it's pretty buggy, so I started to learn how to build my own, but I don't want to spend too much time on it as it might not even work with your new 3D implementation. Any words on that as well? Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:02:32 pm by XL2 »

corvusd

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Portfolio
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2017, 09:30:10 pm »
Hello everyone!!

Sorry to take so long to respond. I am involved with various issues and work.

As I commented in several posts, I have pending various documentation that I have been developing for a series of entries in my personal blog.

The intention I have is to share and help grow the community of our great console. A small contribution and tribute to this great machine. Which he owed for a long time.

I share a spreadsheet where I am compiling technical data of a selection of games(200 aprox 20% total games)  that I think are outstanding of the system. That can help us to better understand how effects were made or how they used the machine better. Currently this half-translated into English, since my native language is Spanish.

UPDATE table and data at 02-12-2017, view beetter whit 75% zoom level in google docs viewer:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tcTUC9oZ70ZGzVV58ca20bfwn0YEWzyJbxAMVFrAVwE/edit?usp=sharing

With respect to the use of memory, it has been one of the last aspects that I am compiling. They are in column AA. I have tried to break them down by the different memory wells. The data is approximate, since even the Yabause does not quantify in total values ​​the use of memory.

I started by analysing the use of transparency of VDP1, VDP2 and VDP1 + VDP2. Afterwards, with depth of color in textures and total, use of gouraud and lighting, use of layers of VDP2 and color calculation ... to gradually embrace many aspects.

It would help a lot, that Yabause not count the number of elements in the VDP1, to see how many polygons are on the scene. Or the amount of elements that are using Gouraud, or half-transparent, filter them somehow. Since the debugger lists them all and their properties. Or ideally show the % use of the processors, this last more complicated.

I will update and translate the sheet as I can. If someone wants to contribute in the edition only that asks me, the more we are better.

Regards! :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:10:59 pm by corvusd »
David Gámiz Jiménez

mindslight

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jo Engine
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2017, 07:11:35 pm »
Your help is welcome :)

There is still time to revive the Sega Saturn.

I am pleased that they have more and more people who are interested in our work.

corvusd

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Portfolio
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2017, 08:16:32 pm »
Hello Johannes,

Sorry to answer you so late Thanks for your words.

I hope we succeed. This community and the machine deserve it.

I have been updating data from the table. There are still many things in Spanish. I hope to be able to translate and complete the analysis of the games.

If you like, I open thread in the forum share code share. It is not the same, but I think it will be more at hand, to be able to consult games that do specific things and how. That is the end of the spreadsheet.

Regards,
David Gámiz Jiménez

itsstillthinking1999

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2017, 04:08:22 am »
Thanks for your comments!

For the LWRAM, it seems you are right according to Yabause! No wonder I always had to fight so hard to cram everything inside the Saturn. I thought files loaded from the disk (such as sounds and images) went straight to the LWRAM, as suggested in the Rockin'B guide.
I looked at the documentation for Jo Engine, and I can't find how to even use it or if there is currently a way (I guess there is, I just haven't found it).
How do I even allocate the LWRAM in Jo Engine?
Audio files would be a good start using it I guess (unless someone suggests otherwise).
Can I allocate more memory to the 3D Meshes, or does it have to go to the High-work RAM?
I'm trying to cram a level from Project AXSX shared by Andrew75, but right now I can't even put half of it as I run out of RAM quickly.
I might have to simplify the map, or find another way to allocate more memory to it.

Btw, Johannes, are you still planning to update the Jo Map Editor tool for the .OBJ conversion? (or release the source)
Right now it's pretty buggy, so I started to learn how to build my own, but I don't want to spend too much time on it as it might not even work with your new 3D implementation. Any words on that as well? Thanks!

Someone that  would know probably is Jolly roger, il pm him and ask if he knows

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2017, 05:32:02 am »
No need, it's all working already.

itsstillthinking1999

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2017, 06:34:53 am »
Oh okay 8)

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2017, 05:07:57 pm »
Small update, now using a map from Project AXSX (thanks to Andrew75) :
https://youtu.be/UDzUXsTSKk4

mindslight

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jo Engine
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2017, 05:18:49 pm »
Good job ! ;D

Project AXSX is a very nice project too :)

itsstillthinking1999

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2017, 02:45:05 am »
Amazing!  ;D cant wait to try it!

itsstillthinking1999

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2017, 07:10:40 am »
Hey man was just wanting to say keep up the great work with Z-treme as its a dream come true for a die hard Saturn fan. Just as a heads up just got 80 new cd=r so if you need anything tested on real hardware im  up 8)

mindslight

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jo Engine
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2017, 09:11:38 am »
Hey man was just wanting to say keep up the great work with Z-treme as its a dream come true for a die hard Saturn fan. Just as a heads up just got 80 new cd=r so if you need anything tested on real hardware im  up 8)

I also have some old 650 MB CDs :)

Once in two the engraving fails, because they are over 15 years old :D

itsstillthinking1999

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2017, 07:33:02 pm »
Yeah! cant wait to download it and try it out! ;D

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk