Author Topic: Sonic Z-Treme  (Read 24327 times)

20EnderDude20

• I'm also known as "The Blender Fiddler" on Youtube
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Re: Sonic Z-Treme
« Reply #360 on: August 26, 2018, 06:53:59 pm »
The Gouraud bug works in mame!

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 26, 2018, 06:55:45 pm »
The red gouraud works in Yabause, but the green bug doesn't work.
Metal Sonic is supposed to be yellow/gold when he's invincible or picks up rings.
If he's green, it doesn't work well.

20EnderDude20

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #362 on: August 26, 2018, 07:04:33 pm »
The green bug also works

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 26, 2018, 07:37:56 pm »
Yeah, it seems to work.
Metal Sonic is also transparent with the background layer, so it impacts its color as well.

20EnderDude20

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #364 on: August 29, 2018, 11:37:09 pm »
However, when I tested the overdraw bug on MAME, it seems to be that the overdraw bug is non-existent, but when I tested the bug on Yabause, the bug was coded in. I wish there were one emulator that had all of these bugs put into consideration so that I wouldn't have to switch between two emulators. -.-
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 11:42:56 pm by 20EnderDude20 »

jabfg

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 31, 2018, 03:00:38 am »
So XL2, how has been going the sage for your project? Which such fantastic project you must have been having lots of praises.

20EnderDude20

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #366 on: August 31, 2018, 03:30:05 am »
I've been excited for Razor and Zenon to put the game on their channel! However, they didn't showcase Metal Sonic, nor the pseudo fish-eye effect :7. In the meantime, I've made a square 24 pixel icon to replace "LIVES".

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 31, 2018, 05:58:27 pm »
Well, I already have the Sonic icon from prototype 718, I just didn't want to add another sprite onscreen as I feared it might slow things down a little.
As for Sage, the reaction has been mixed, if not negative overall, so for now I decided to just focus on the FPS game.

20EnderDude20

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #368 on: August 31, 2018, 09:29:17 pm »
I’m guessing that most of the negativity comes from virtually everyone using the d-pad and not the analog pad. You should probably add a small annotation that the analog pad controls are better. Also, why would they dislike it? Sonic Z-Treme is a great project!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 01:25:41 am by 20EnderDude20 »

ponut64

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 01, 2018, 01:25:18 am »
If people are stupid enough not to figure out that you can just bind the D-pad controls to an analog stick (or actually just use analog control), then perhaps you don't want them to like your game anyway.

Besides, I have a high opinion of the Saturn's D-pad for 3D games. It isn't anywhere near as bad as a PlayStation D-pad, and its better than most modern D-pads. It's one downfall is diagonal inputs aren't perfect.

(I realize just about nobody is actually using a Saturn controller for the game)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 02:13:32 am by ponut64 »

20EnderDude20

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #370 on: September 01, 2018, 01:29:43 am »
One thing that might have made the game have negative reviews was that the pseudo fish eye effect has a slight effect that isn't even that noticeable. Is this a limitation also?

20EnderDude20

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #371 on: September 01, 2018, 03:04:10 am »
With Ponut's edit, I think the main cause was because almost everyone played it in an emulator, making the controls feel unnatural. Even that guy on SEGA Driven used an emulator, and he said the controls were jerky. So that might not be because of the game, it might be because of the peripherals most people are using.

corvusd

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Portfolio
« Reply #372 on: September 02, 2018, 05:58:32 pm »
Hello again XL2,

I've been on vacation these days, and I have not been able to see your SAGE build until today.

Great job! I would ignore most reactions. More without foundations. You have done what no one did. THANK YOU!

Reviewing your work in particular.

1. An implementation of the shadow with transparency VDP1 for Sonic very smart. To avoid the redrawn defect of the VDP1 and you take care when shadow cover other primitive this are a Color LUT or RGB from VDP1 color VRAM for correctly blend transparency.

2. A very nice particle effects and well implemented in this last build. Later when you see. If you have surplus performance and find a new and original way you could use "some" type of SS transparency. They would already be perfect.

3. I see that the effect of Metal(Sonic and enemies) changes according to the background. It's a totally original effect!

4. I see that you reach peaks of 750 elements on the screen, keeping 30FPS !!! Absolutely brutal!

5. I see that you still have a lot of main RAM, VDP1 VRAM and VDP2 Pattern RAM available. And I see that you have used almost 90% the VDP2 Color RAM.

6. I also see signs of using DSP sound !! 100% memory used! : D

7. The control in my case I loved. The problem in my point of view. Is that the game needs some kind of tutorial. Because it is not the typical Sonic that the typical user can find. The areas of falls and death are numerous. And the speed of Sonic can be deadly XD. In any case. The control under my point of view responds superbly. As a crazy idea, how would you see that the camera was always behind Sonic?

And a lot of details more!!!

Greetings and thanks again!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 08:26:30 pm by corvusd »
David Gámiz Jiménez

Cerv3ro

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 05, 2018, 11:56:09 pm »
Hey XL2, finally i have returned from my vacation and literally, the first thing i did was to burn the cd  8)

I played the demo on a model 1 Pal Saturn, with the 3D controller.
The progress has been huge!, those 4 levels looks so nice, with a lot of differences from the earlier versions. I love that effect around Sonic and the stele behind him.

The 3er level looked very funny to me, those speed sections makes the game nicer, more...Sonic like. Although it´s easy to die and fall down, maybe some invisible walls may prevent that?. At least at speed sections would be ok to try this?, only an idea. Another element that brings inmersion is the fire, that fire is so cool! Does it uses dynamic lighting?

The 4th level has been a great surprise!! that metal walls and new elements looks phenomenal. Here is where i missed the most those "dynamic elements?" you talked once, lifts and platforms to move through the level, but nothing the double jump couln´t do  8)

On the technical area, the framerate is very good, but not stable 100%. I have tried 30 and 60 hz. Both go well but sometimes a little slowdown happens, especially when turn the camera (using L or R). I want to record a gameplay and share it to you for a better idea of what im talking about. As a curiosity, i switched to 60 hz my console (i did the mod to my saturn to run the games as ntsc does) and the game runs ultra slow!!! i thing maybe 10 fps? of course i burned the pal iso so i think is because of this.

To end, the gameplay with the 3D pad its a delight, only with this the game wins a lot of fun to me.

Sorry for not being so technical when talk about it, i don´t know nothing about develop but i wanted to let you know my impressions about this miracle that you are giving us. Thaks a lot for this!  ;)

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 06, 2018, 12:05:07 am »
Yeah, the Pal version was a quick workaround, so if you play at 60 hrz the framerate counter will report wrong values, so it always play slow.
As for the slowdown, at 50 fps it's expected, but at 25 fps, it shouldn't happen as far as I know.
Maybe a 1 frame dip?
I would need to see it, but if a polygon is covering the whole screen it's possible.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk