Author Topic: Sonic Z-Treme  (Read 24299 times)

XL2

• View Profile
Re: Sonic Z-Treme
« Reply #210 on: April 14, 2018, 10:56:08 pm »
These games use the color calculation  (with ratios) to make a smooth fade in and fade out. It's what I'm doing now. It might be possible with CLUT sprites too, but I have to try a few more things first. But the only way to do actual gouraud shading on color bank sprites requires a ton of color RAM, but you only have 4 KB shared for all the background layers and the color bank sprites.
High res mode is attractive, but you can't simply flip a switch and make it work. You really need to setup everything in a specific way and there are many limitations.
I could try it for menus and such, but even for that I don't want to waste time on it.

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 20, 2018, 05:14:51 pm »
Just a small update to show the Sonic R-style fade in/out.

https://youtu.be/r4Gkgqitv44

ponut64

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 21, 2018, 02:24:34 pm »
Thanks for posting that here.

I always did have the idea of using VDP2 layers for fade-in / fade-out (obviously, what else would you use).
I'm curious though, are those RBG or NBG layers?

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 21, 2018, 03:56:24 pm »
Well, gouraud shading works well for fade in/out as long as the color fits the backscreen.
I'm using a NBG0 bitmap layer, but with splitscreen managing the backgrounds gets a bit complicated.

Joeveno

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 22, 2018, 04:19:24 am »
Hello! It's me again!

What do you think of a Tony Hawk's approach in level design but with a point a to b style? with slopes, ramps and loops attached to higher ground around the scenario or a certain path for the player?

Something with this approach to level design (but of course, with a point a to b fashion and some of the ramps, and slopes attached to buildings and other areas of the scenario, as well as linear loops) :

I Think that this style would work well with the Sonic Jam approach you want to apply into some levels, and would make a good use of the physics when it's more fleshed out :D cheers!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 05:44:34 am by Joeveno »

Joeveno

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 22, 2018, 06:53:41 pm »
Do you think that a Sonic Utopia gameplay style for Sonic would be possible for the project on Saturn? (have a big focus on momentum based gameplay, being able to curl into a ball and be affected by the terrain, gain momentum in loops, slopes, etc)

Cheers!

ponut64

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 22, 2018, 10:01:28 pm »
That's possible in some way, the question is, who is gonna make it?

corvusd

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Portfolio
« Reply #217 on: April 22, 2018, 10:58:16 pm »
Maybe is to soon to say something. XL now are learning and improve your engine, to put at limit SS. All your ideas are great and maybe possible. But, now not is the time to this. And this type of design, maybe, is too big for the machine or the actual technical resources. Thanks for your apports. 👍
David Gámiz Jiménez

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 22, 2018, 11:08:32 pm »
Here it is running on real hardware.
I'm quite happy with the results as it's not optimized.

https://youtu.be/Bkpy5MdjM8I

Joeveno

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 09, 2018, 07:22:57 pm »
Hello!
Do you think that physics similar to Stunts (1990) at slopes and loops are possible in this project?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgceLrj3upY
Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 08:26:29 pm by Joeveno »

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 18, 2018, 03:37:51 pm »
Still a very long way to go : I'm not done with the rendering part and I haven't started to put gameplay back in (you can just move the camera around now), but I think it looks rather good so far.
You can see the draw distance is quite good!
I might have to reduce it a little bit, but it shouldn't impact too much the visual as the draw distance is a bit too far now (it should still be fine at 30 fps).
Plus with the transparency effect, I think most people won't mind and will instead appreciate the effects ;)

corvusd

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Portfolio
« Reply #221 on: May 18, 2018, 09:35:17 pm »
Still a very long way to go : I'm not done with the rendering part and I haven't started to put gameplay back in (you can just move the camera around now), but I think it looks rather good so far.
You can see the draw distance is quite good!
I might have to reduce it a little bit, but it shouldn't impact too much the visual as the draw distance is a bit too far now (it should still be fine at 30 fps).
Plus with the transparency effect, I think most people won't mind and will instead appreciate the effects ;)
Absolutely great improve.
Your new build whit the far fade clipping whit the VDP2 CC ratio and priority is great, same that Sonic-R or very similar. Sonic-R use static source Gouraud in all the rest scenery before fade.
And the Sonic and Tails whit Real Time Gouraud Light is amazing! :) All together look very nice an promising! Go Go! :D
You can see that me, are capable to appreciate all this effects and your GREAT efforts!! Thanks!! :D
David Gámiz Jiménez

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 18, 2018, 09:38:55 pm »
I do plan on having static lights (the quads closer to screen use CLUT while the quads with CC use CRAM banks), but I'm quickly running out of time.
But if I think I can implement it in 1 or 2 hours I will sure try it!

corvusd

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Portfolio
« Reply #223 on: May 22, 2018, 11:47:26 pm »
I do plan on having static lights (the quads closer to screen use CLUT while the quads with CC use CRAM banks), but I'm quickly running out of time.
But if I think I can implement it in 1 or 2 hours I will sure try it!
fyi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdD0GvVRSMc&feature=youtu.be
:D
David Gámiz Jiménez

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 23, 2018, 12:20:44 am »
Nice, I didn't see it.
I use the same technique for CBANK sprites, but I admit that his solution for CLUT sprites could work, but then why even put gouraud shading if it's so limited? I could just write the lightning value directly on the textures and it would be faster for rendering.
Of course it would take way more VRAM, but it might work.
Another solution is to use the gouraud on CRAM sprites bug to produce pseudo bump mapping.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk