Author Topic: Sonic Z-Treme  (Read 24306 times)

itsstillthinking1999

• View Profile
Re: Sonic Z-Treme
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2017, 03:27:39 am »
Gota go fst :o On a side note you want me to remove my custom version?

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2017, 03:43:49 am »
0.034 was more stable, so I would suggest using that instead until I release 0.036 or 0.04 (If I nail the 3d implementation )

itsstillthinking1999

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2017, 06:16:26 am »
Will change it when i have time, hope all goes well for the project in the next few weeks 8)
Edit: Done, and on another side note ver 0.32 video has hit 6 thousand views! and the old ver .2 video i made has almost hit 7000. Its great that more people are finding out about your project XL2
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 06:25:01 am by itsstillthinking1999 »

LekBr20101

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2017, 01:19:37 am »
Hi!

Here is a short demo of a 3D Sonic game made with Jo Engine. Based on the Sonic demo, I made the 3D model and then animated it (hardcoded). It's still very buggy and as I had no previous coding skills and never made a game before, I don't expect to turn this into a full game. The demo is running on SSF, it does also run on Yabause.

v.0.034 running on SSF : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1qc8F7xflM&t=7s

Edit : v.0.035 below. Added the RBG0 ocean and clouds in Jade Gully. The clouds are rather large, they might impact performance on real hardware, but I didn't try it so I don't know. I also tried to improve the loading time, but I didn't test it. Jade Gully should load about twice as fast now, while Crystal Frost should load in around 35 seconds (I will try to improve that as well). Again, I didn't test on real hardware, so it might not work at all, try at your own risk!

Edit 2 : Removed 0.035 as it contains a couple of glitches.

Playing I noticed some problems: 1-it gains speed very quickly, but loses it very slowly.
2-You could remove the double leap and add a single, but slow leap.
3-In the first phase could have the addition of more parts, a 3 or 4 would be welcomed.

If you want, I'm going to try to make some conceptual arts to try to help you.

LekBr20101

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2017, 01:21:30 am »
I'll see if I can find the order of the songs and the phases on the Internet, and of course, their themes respectively.

How are you doing the modeling of the characters?

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2017, 08:54:29 pm »
I don't know what you mean about the speed. If you mean the momentum, it's normal, there is friction but the engine keeps your speed.
The single slow jump could be terrible and make the game feel like you are under water.
So I won't do it.
For your point 3, the game is not finished, but adding levels isn't a priority since I'm busy working on my engine.

LekBr20101

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2017, 11:08:38 pm »
I don't know what you mean about the speed. If you mean the momentum, it's normal, there is friction but the engine keeps your speed.
The single slow jump could be terrible and make the game feel like you are under water.
So I won't do it.
For your point 3, the game is not finished, but adding levels isn't a priority since I'm busy working on my engine.

I understand, about speed is much more about the high speed gain itself, for example, in the Sonic of Genesis, using the trees behind in Green Hill as base, starting from the first if it reaches the maximum speed in the seventh, however in the project the gain is very high. Thinking about it might be the scenarios that are very small, it would be possible to put some areas for testing in the future.

On the leap I do not know, using Sonic 2D as an example, Sonic's jump is about 3 Sonics above him, I'm thinking on the side of breaking the game itself, jumping from one side to the other of the map and finishing the phase in 20 seconds seems a bit sad.

On performance the game has its downfalls, but it seems that in the next update you will lock the frame rate at 30fps, maybe even improve the rendering of the game.

Returning to talk about the jump, Sonic X-Treme was going to have phases differentiated for each character, but I do not know, maybe it's better to create a single phase with different paths for each character, maybe save time.

LekBr20101

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2017, 11:10:35 pm »

I do not know exactly how to move 2D to 3D, maybe it's better to wait for the engine to get ready.

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2017, 11:19:29 pm »
For the acceleration, I played with different settings and found it better to have a bit faster acceleration, which makes turning in 3d easier.
For the jump, I'm using the same value as classic games. The only difference is that the camera tilts as you jump.
For the slowdowns, I mentionned it before, I'm fully rewriting my 3d implementation for stable 60 fps.
I did the demo for Retro Barcelona in 3 days, the engine wasn't fully ready.
For other caracters, I'm not considering it atm.

For you waiting for the engine to be ready, I don't think I understand what you mean.

If you mean Sonic Z-Treme engine, I won't be making it public. But I might update the fps demo.

If you meant Jo engine, Johannes is working on a new implementation, but you can fully use SGL at the moment.

LekBr20101

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2017, 12:08:44 am »
For the acceleration, I played with different settings and found it better to have a bit faster acceleration, which makes turning in 3d easier.
For the jump, I'm using the same value as classic games. The only difference is that the camera tilts as you jump.
For the slowdowns, I mentionned it before, I'm fully rewriting my 3d implementation for stable 60 fps.
I did the demo for Retro Barcelona in 3 days, the engine wasn't fully ready.
For other caracters, I'm not considering it atm.

For you waiting for the engine to be ready, I don't think I understand what you mean.

If you mean Sonic Z-Treme engine, I won't be making it public. But I might update the fps demo.

If you meant Jo engine, Johannes is working on a new implementation, but you can fully use SGL at the moment.

About modeling I would like to help you in something, however I am the ultimate noob form in programming, maybe in modeling or stuff like I can do something.

Yes, I understand, unfortunately I couldn't go to Barcelona, it would be annoying to cross an ocean to access a DEMO, however I can wait for the next video on the canal.

In fact, I saw that you used the stage created by a fan as the first stage, or did you create this internship a couple of years ago?

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2017, 12:12:05 am »
Sorry, but I'm not looking for help at the moment and don't want to use other people's models.
The stage is from Project AXSX, that Andrew75 recreated after Sonic X-Treme's maps.

itsstillthinking1999

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2017, 10:05:18 pm »
Hey Xl2 just a quick question, so are you just rebuilding the Engine from the ground up with a retooled gameplay style or just modifying/ cleaning up the original code? If you want to keep it a secret until you show it off that's okay was just a little confused

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2017, 11:31:54 pm »
I'm rebuilding the 3d implementation and reworking on the collision detection code.
It might take a while.

I'm using Saturn Quake levels to stress test the engine, but since I haven't updated the FPS demo, it gives some weird results like this (I should add a shotgun and turn Sonic into Shadow and just call it Shadow Z-Treme, I'm sure that would be a wonderful idea!) : 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 03:56:46 am by XL2 »

itsstillthinking1999

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2017, 01:50:33 am »
Looking good, the cross over we all wanted 8) Did not know the quake Saturn maps where available in .3ds or .obj format
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 05:32:17 pm by itsstillthinking1999 »

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2017, 01:52:05 am »
I converted them to .obj and then to .ztm.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk