Author Topic: Sonic Z-Treme  (Read 24272 times)

XL2

• View Profile
Re: Sonic Z-Treme
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2017, 01:05:58 am »
 Right now it runs between 30 and 60 fps on real hardware, so it's not really playable, so I will have to optimize everything first.

itsstillthinking1999

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2017, 03:11:19 am »
I am curious on something, why would there be a big hardware performance difference between the Saturn and a emulator? As someone who programmed for the Saturn i know the emulator has some minor difference when making something with screen tearing ect but why for fps? Also its okay if does not run at 60, few games at the time did and a stable 30 is just as good ;D Keep up the good work!

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2017, 03:20:54 am »
The problem is that when the CPU can't keep up, it drops one frame, so your game logic goes down to 30 fps. So it's going from 60 to 30 to 60, making the game hard to play. I have a few ideas for preprocessing the visibility. My hard limit seems to be around 1100 vertices on screen, the game now goes from 700 to up to 1600 sometimes, so it's uneven. Of course, there are 2 cpus, but sending the draw command to the slave doesn't help that much (SGL slPutpolygonS). I could probably brute force my way to 60 fps by alternating the matrix transformation between slave and main CPU, but I want to optimize everything and keep some room for extra effects. The main problem for high vertices count is the way that by subdividing a map for culling you duplicate many vertices, putting a strain on the CPU.

itsstillthinking1999

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2017, 06:37:31 pm »
Thanks for responding :) that makes alot of sense, i also did not realize how much of a difference those 30 frames meant to this game. I was just thinking about how Sonic Adventure, Shenmue, Nights, Panzer Dragoon Series and other games at the time ran at solid 30 and where still fun. Was suggesting that so you wouldn't have to work as hard 8)

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2017, 06:52:58 pm »
Well, I could just put it at 30 fps and it would run fine, but my whole game logic is at 60 fps, so it's some work too since at 30 fps it's like a slow motion game. So I prefer to spend time optimizing the game first, and if that's not enough I will downgrade to 30 fps and just add more effects

itsstillthinking1999

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2017, 06:03:34 pm »
Just noticed something in your new builds of jade gully zone. The floor texture looks like transparent water! Was wondering how you achieved this effect as it look really good! 8)

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2017, 06:12:11 pm »
I tried to make it look like it's a reflection more than transparency, but it is indeed transparent with the background flipped. The VDP2 has no problems at all with transparency, only the VDP1 does. I want to try some sort of VDP1 transparency by using the VDP2 (like make objects fade in/out instead of poping in/out), but I have many things to do first. It seems to work only with paletted sprites, so I need to test that as well.

itsstillthinking1999

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2017, 02:47:01 am »
It will be very interesting to see how the effect translates over to original hardware and if "Lines" somewhat blur it up. Im sure that is mostly down to what video output you use though, aslo heard you got Crystal frost working! any chance you could lend a screen shot  ;D

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2017, 03:10:25 am »
I will show it soon enough.
I'm trying now to optimize everything to try to make it work at 60 fps, but it's not easy!
And at 30 fps it feels so floaty and I would need to change my game engine logic, so both ways are lot of work.

itsstillthinking1999

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2017, 04:02:43 am »
I will show it soon enough.
I'm trying now to optimize everything to try to make it work at 60 fps, but it's not easy!
And at 30 fps it feels so floaty and I would need to change my game engine logic, so both ways are lot of work.

Haha no need to rush, it will be done when it is done ;) Sorry if i sounded demanding, did not mean to be

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2017, 04:11:35 am »
No problem, I'm just in a rush to get a build for Retro Barcelona and I'm trying to throw all the optimizations I can think of to make it work as it's in 3 days only...

itsstillthinking1999

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2017, 04:44:56 am »
No problem, I'm just in a rush to get a build for Retro Barcelona and I'm trying to throw all the optimizations I can think of to make it work as it's in 3 days only...
Well if you need me to do any testing or testing on a real console im available, youl win easily  ;D (PS what is Retro Barcelona? 8))

mindslight

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jo Engine
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2017, 10:38:09 am »
(PS what is Retro Barcelona? 8))

It's an event in Spain inside the Barcelona Game World (http://www.barcelonagamesworld.com/), one of the biggest video game event in Europe.

And the topic on the forum: http://forum.jo-engine.org/index.php?topic=825.0

itsstillthinking1999

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2017, 04:32:50 am »
Very cool! so is there a competition held there or a showcase for projects? if so XL2 will win for sure!

itsstillthinking1999

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2017, 07:02:17 am »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk