Author Topic: Sega Saturn Hardware and programming resources  (Read 1852 times)

Chron

• View Profile
Sega Saturn Hardware and programming resources
« on: August 29, 2016, 03:17:56 pm »
I am one of those people who likes to read through technical documentation to get a better understanding of how my code is going to work on a certain platform, and Jo Engine and the Sega Saturn are not exceptions.  I was wondering where the best places to go for resources on how the hardware works and how code interacts with it.

... and after poking around on Google for a little while, I found this page full of useful looking links to docs:
http://koti.kapsi.fi/~antime/sega/docs.html

This looks like a great resource in addition to the links to articles and documentation on the Jo Engine website, which I'll add here for the sake of completion:
http://jo-engine.org/links/

I wouldn't expect a user of Jo Engine's library and compiler to need to read all of these, as it's very straightforward.  It's just nice to have a little extra perspective when you're working on something new!

If anyone would like to add more links or point out which documents are most relevant, just post it in this thread.

mindslight

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jo Engine
Re: Sega Saturn Hardware and programming resources
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 04:11:43 pm »
I think you're right Chron, it's better to understand how the system works  ;)

I've got plenty of documents. I'll upload them as soon as possible  :)

You will find in attachment the circuit schematic of the Sega Saturn.

neoraph

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 03:35:04 am »
Hi guys,

I would like to know which tools do you use for your Saturn developments (Sprite creation, music and sound effect, 3D...)

Do you follow and use the old stuff that we can find in rockin-b? it looks like only for windows...

I am planing to use the gimp for sprite and animation and blender for 3d stuff, and I don't know about music and sound effect...

I am listening for all your advises :)

XL2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 04:01:29 am »
For assets, I use Paint.net and Blender, FFMPEG for audio.

For 3d model conversion, I'm using my own .OBJ file converter.

I also tried to generate paletted sprites, but I will have to compress/merge the color data with neirest neighbours as I quickly run out of CRAM (max 2048 colors).

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk